[thelist] Lots and Lots of Log files... I need help

Joshua Olson joshua at waetech.com
Fri Sep 13 13:11:01 CDT 2002

Greetings all,

I have a client who has asked that every unique visitor get their own log
file.  While this was achieved fairly easily, the problem I run into now is
that the log files take up a lot of HD space under NTFS.  Each file takes up
4k regardless of how small it is.  I even compressed the folder (windows
2k), but each file still takes up the same amount, 4k.  I know why this
happens, but I need to find a solution.

The idea that I have is to find a program that will let me make a single zip
file and then map that zip file as a drive.  That way, whenever I visit
drive x, for example, I am actually looking within the zip file.  Any files
modified or edited are actually within the zip file.

This would get around the OS's file limitation, but introduces a whole new
gamut of problems centered around the efficiency of the zip application.

Any thoughts?

I've already suggested file pruning for small files that grow stale and
thought about dumping log files to a database as they grow old.  But, is
there another better solution?

Thanks in advance.

-joshua