[thelist] Using Apache as intranet and development server on broadband

Keith Underdown keith.underdown at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Sep 14 08:12:01 CDT 2002

Hi there

I have Apache running on my W2000 machine so that I can develop PHP
applications and get them served to my triumvirate of browsers to test them.
I also have my wife's machine connected via a LAN based on one network card
and my cable "modem" connected to my machine by a second card. Using
Internet Sharing we can both use the broadband connection and using standard
W2000 file system operations we successfully share files.

I have three questions about this set up:

1) I am assuming that ZoneAlarm Pro will keep interlopers out despite by
Apache config file currently saying:

 Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
# Scary default that I only found out about this morning after about 6
months!

2) I would like to build a portal with our bookmarks (and maybe install some
older browsers on the other machine) but I can't get the second machine to
"see" Apache. Typing http://localhost/ on the second machine returns "Cannot
find server or DNS error". ZoneAlarm Pro has the network as part of the
trusted zone. Substituting the ip address at the time gives "Bad Gateway".

3) because I'm generating my html dynamically via PHP I would like to be
able to give the validator a URI corresponding to my server (which is not a
proper domain) so that I can validate html on the fly (via HTML-Kit) before
uploading it to the production server. Again local host and the ip address
don't work.

TIA

Keith
Keith Underdown
St Thomas Dudley Webmaster
Publicity Officer Spire Appeal Committee
www.cofe-st-thomas-dudley.org.uk