[thelist] Using Meta tags in CSS

rudy r937 at interlog.com
Sun Sep 15 11:20:01 CDT 2002

> To the extent search engines rely on meta tags to index and place your
> page in search results, they're comparing what your description and
> keyword tags say with what the rest of your page is about.

excellent point, bob

my original reply should have advised creating an include file for all the
meta tags *except* description and keywords

here's the code from one of my pages --

  <CFOUTPUT>
  </CFOUTPUT>
  <CFINCLUDE TEMPLATE="metatags.cfm">

each page has description and keyword tags customized to that page -- which
is what FOO and BAR represent above, i just used these for illustration
purposes, in real pages there would be actual text hardcoded in place of
FOO and BAR

each description tag starts with the site and page title, and each keyword
tag starts with the domain and title (my sites are r937.com and rudy.ca,
and the domains are r937 and rudy) -- that's done by the hashed variables
inside the CFOUTPUT tag

finally, CFINCLUDE brings in a template, or include file, containing all
the other meta tags that are common on every page

here's what's in my include file --

these are meta tags i don't want to remember every time i code a page

rudy