[thelist] mysql table design

Pablo Oliva poliva at cox.net
Mon Sep 16 13:46:00 CDT 2002

I am creating a database table with phpMyAdmin.  For each column you
have the option of labeling them "Primary" "Index" and "Unique".  From
reading the MySQL manual, a primary key is a unique key that can't be
null.  A unique key can have only distinct values.  So if I have a
column, and I designate it primary, unique, and index, does that mean
that I am being redundant.  If I label a column Primary, does it still
get indexed?  Just need some clarification.  Thanks.