[thelist] CSS : Aligning XHTML content to bottom of page

Jason Hepi contact at hepi.fsnet.co.uk
Mon Sep 16 14:12:06 CDT 2002

>> you should give it a solid background color ...
>> and give it a z-index above the text it currently overlaps with.

Good advice - but I don't want to use CSS-P because of the overlapping !

I was thinking of something like this :

  body {
  position: absolute;
  top: 0; left: 0;
  }

  body, #mytable {
  margin: 0;
  padding: 0;
  width: 100%;
  height: 100%;
  }

using XHTML 1.0 Transitional DOCTYPE, the table is defined as :

My question is whether or not this a bad use of CSS and therefore a bad
solution to a common problem ? i.e. directly accessing the height of a block
level element that happens to be a TABLE and not a traditional container
element such as a DIV? And is it likely to have continued support in further
browser releases ?

Jason Hepi