[thelist] Using Apache as intranet and development server on broadband

Boris Mann boris at bmannconsulting.com
Mon Sep 16 20:43:01 CDT 2002

A great, all-in-one Linux distribution that takes all of 20 minutes to
get up and running is the Mitel SME Server, formerly eSmith. The
non-commercial version can be found at http://www.e-smith.org. I'm using
it as a private server for quite a few small business clients, and also
use it myself for testing -- MySQL, Apache, PHP, etc. etc.

I'm also going to mention DynDNS (http://www.dyndns.org), which has lots
of "dynamic" domains to choose from (like homeftp.org, kicks-ass.org,
etc. etc.) PLUS they can do "custom" dynamic domains --> register a
domain of your choice, then have them host the DNS for you (so you can
have myveryownserver.com point to your machine at home). Details on
their custom service can be found here -->
http://www.dyndns.org/mydyndns/custom/

(oops! and I just noticed that they are actually dnsalias.com as well...)

Have fun!

--
Boris Mann
http://www.bmannconsulting.com