[thelist] OT: wireless web access (urgent help needed)

Timothy J. Luoma lists at tntluoma.com
Wed Sep 18 00:03:20 CDT 2002

Chris W. Parker wrote:

> we've got a new employee that is going to be working offsite 95% of the
> time and he needs to internet access and much as possible. so the idea
> came up of having wireless access, but i have no idea where to even
> start to look for that and what hardware is needed to access a wireless
> network.

Define "offsite".... will he be travelling around the US and need access
at various locations, or access in the car on the road or what?

Define "internet access" -- does that mean just sending/receiving text
messages or full web access?

If just email, you can get by with a Blackberry RIM.
If just dial in access, heck, AOL has dialup accounts everywhere.
If you are talking about true mobile wireless access anywhere... GOOD
LUCK... maybe in big cities, but certainly not all, and it will be
expensive.

> please if you can, answer a few questions for me.
>
> 1. what hardware is needed?

depends on the above

> 2. is this what 802.11 is?

no... 802.x is basically for someone who is at a relatively fixed
location (i.e. a building) but wants to able to travel around that area

> 3. what service providers are there? how does accessing the internet
> work?

depends

> 4. is VPN possible? (i'm going to take a guess and say no, but i just
> thought i'd ask.)

depends

--
30 Days to becoming an Opera Lover