[thelist] Named anchors in .cfm pages

Joshua Olson joshua at waetech.com
Thu Sep 19 16:34:01 CDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Clive R Sweeney" <clive at designshift.com>
Sent: Thursday, September 19, 2002 3:58 PM

> I've been using named anchors throughout a new site to link to a
> specific part of a page or for "Return to top" links. They worked just
> fine until I renamed the pages to "*.cfm" from "*.html". (Our ColdFusion
> developer will be adding some content management functionality to the
> site). But these named anchors in a .cfm page just result in "This page
> cannot be displayed".
>
> Why does this happen and/or is there a way to make it work?

Most people are going to tell you to simply double the hash marks.  However,
doubling the hash marks will not be a problem unless your anchor tag is
encapsulated in <cfoutput>.  Only characters within a CF tag or within
cfoutput are inspected for syntax and variable replacement.  If the code is
not within a CF tag or within cfoutput, then it doesn't matter what you put
in it.

If you simply renamed a file from .html to .cfm, this should not be
happening.  Is there any other information you can provide?

-joshua