[thelist] The Web's future: XHTML 2.0

Shashank Tripathi sub at shanx.com
Sat Sep 21 08:12:00 CDT 2002

Hi,

    | W3C is on its own trip without so much a glance at
    | what's really going on and what web developers
    | really need. XHTML 2.0 is a joke, and a bad one at that.

Funny, I had the exact same thoughts with the silliness I noticed on
that article but was holding my breath.

I pretty much stopped reading it when I came to the feeble explanation
of a "<line>" tag. There is nothing wrong with a line-feed character
which can be used in almost any programming language rather than
increasing the size of all my pages with an insane LINE tag wrapping all
my sentences. Which btw also makes my pages absolutely unreadable.

XML is good as a glue technology (although there is nothing wrong with
CSV or other formats which transferred financial data on my 9.6k modems
as much as 10 years ago with very satisfactory speed). But the whole
dog-and-pony show that is attached to XML in the media as the life
savior of the Internet world is what leads to jokes like XHTML2.

Heading off to that egroups link..

Shanx
www.shanx.com