[thelist] The Web's future: XHTML 2.0

jon hall jonhall at ozline.net
Sat Sep 21 10:49:01 CDT 2002

Just to add my .02 here, the negative opinions posted seem a little
reactionary. Very similar to the reactions that some developers have
to moving to layer based design practices.
Sure there are some things about the standard which seem like they are
not in touch with our realities today, that doesn't mean that <br>
is going to stop working in the future though. The W3C needs to stay a
step or two ahead of the browser developers, who are a step ahead of
the web developers. So in reality the W3C needs to have a spec done
before the browser developers start planning for the next release. IE7
is far past that point, it's probably already past feature freeze.
Mozilla 2.0 planning was already started months ago. There might even
be a few IE8 planning documents floating around the dev team in
Redmond already. Opera 7 is already in development.
What I'm trying to say is that XHTML 2 being only a WD, is not done,
and probably wont be included in the browsers entering planning today.
I doubt that us web developers will see complete XHTML 2
implementations before Moz 3, IE9, and Opera8 which are so far into the
future that many of our own priorities are likely to change.

I say let the W3C do their thing, they haven't failed us yet. The
alternative to the W3C is much worse imho. If anyone has a difference
of opinion with the spec...join the W3C mailing lists and argue about
it with the authors themselves.

--
 jon
 mailto:jonhall at ozline.net