[thelist] How to interview techie programmers if you're a non-techie

unruly mongrel unrulymongrel at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 21 20:29:01 CDT 2002

Hello, talented folks.  I am going to be interviewing people next week to
help me out in a programming capacity for one of my major clients. What I
need this person to help me with is:
#1: do a simple thing and set up our online forms to deliver data to .csv
files on our server
#2: be able to teach and explain how she/he/other makes this wonderful thing
happen
#3: talk with me about the possibilities of setting my client up with more
dependable, efficient database methods, which from my reading so far could
include a wide variety of things such as PHP, MySQL, Coldfusion, etc.

I basically need someone who can help me understand where I need to go in
terms of what tech options are available to me and my client.  If you were a
non-programmer and were to interview a prospective programmer, what are
questions you can ask to make sure they know what they're talking about,
that they're not just throwing techie terms at you?  Can you think of any
concerns I should have?

<tip>
Those who are easily shocked should be shocked more often.  (Mae West)
</tip>