[thelist] Is it my Opera or the server?

Ken Kogler ken.kogler at curf.edu
Wed Sep 25 12:32:01 CDT 2002

> Note also that Opera provides the ability to change the useragent
string
> so you may not be able to detect that the visiting browser is Opera.
> I've heard of many Opera users that change their user agent setting to
> advertise the browser as IE so they get through user agent checks.

I've got Opera 6.05 set to identify as MSIE5, and here's my UA String:

"Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.0; Windows XP) Opera 6.05 [en]"

So depending on how you filter that, I could be using Moz, IE, or Opera.
:)

The point is that when Opera is set to identify as something else, the
word Opera still shows up in the UA String.

<free advertising for TjL>
I learned this from Tim Luoma's excellent (and convincing!) "30 Days To
Becoming An Opera Lover" series: http://www.tntluoma.com/opera/lover/
</free advertising for TjL>

--Ken