[thelist] Back in the Aeron again

Steve Thomas s.thomas at har.mrc.ac.uk
Fri Sep 27 12:35:19 CDT 2002

on 27/9/02 1:31 PM, Karen J. Bowen at lists at miinx.com.au wrote:

> oooo - perfect time to bring out my favourite ever post on this list,
> all kudos to Chris W. Parker:
>
> - - - - - - -
> "and without being too mean (note: i said TOO mean, not mean at all), is
> there ANY other profession where someone without ANY experience at all
> considers themselve apart of that profession?
>
> for example i don't go to the a hospital or write into a journal about
> medicine and say "hi. i'm a doctor and i'd like to know how to do open
> heart surgery and remove a cyst from my clients neck. this is my first
> time, so please explain it well."
>
> or how about an architect?
>
> "hi i'm an architect and i was wondering if someone could tell me what
> an I-beam is. thanks! please reply to my email lamer at 1337.com not the
> newsgroup! and please hurry i've got a deadline with a client!!"
>
> i'm being serious. does this sort of thing happen anywhere else? i mean,
> just because i take out the trash sometimes, doesn't mean i'm a
> trashman. ;)"
> - - - - - - -
>
> Karen
> -------
> Miinx Design & Development
> e :: karen at miinx.com.au
> p :: 0413.880.302
> w :: www.miinx.com.au

I thought I would un-lurk for a moment just to assure you that yes it does
happen in other trades. I come from a background in commercial photography
and since the digital revolution hit there are now a million more pros out
there just because they have a coolpix. They (I know this is a bit of a
generalisation) think that because they are shooting at 3m pix plus that the
quality is better than film, their matrix metering will beat a hand held
meter and a brain everytime and that ickle LCD on the back means a half
decent composition is in the bag.

It is a bit of a double edged sword, every designer with a coolpix (insert
any other digital camera here) is now a dyed in the wool pro....nut is it
really a bad thing i.e. without the knowledge and theory to take truly great
images they appear a pain in the arse for your trade, but because there is
not this pre-assumed knowledge you find that more evolves from their
inspirations and fresh way of looking at things which in turn can benefit
you the pro.

I don't know if all that made much sense but I am sure somebody will know
where I am coming from (I just wish I did ;-) )

Regards,

Steve