[thelist] Font Size

Tom Dell'Aringa pixelmech at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 27 21:08:01 CDT 2002

--- Djinn <djinn at darkdesigns.org> wrote:
> At 04:39 PM 9/27/02 -0700, Tom Dell'Aringa wrote:
> >Anyway for the original poster - Jean I think - you have lots to
> >think about now!
> >
> >Tom
>
> Yes - I certainly do! However, I don't like the idea that I should
> always
> default to 100% of whatever the programmers of each individual
> browser have
> decided is their default font size. I'm a purist, but that's going
> too far.
> As we all know, many of the differences between browser display are
> simply
> mistakes. And while a good design should be fluid, it should also
> be able
> to display what was intended. It shouldn't be a slave to the whims
> of
> browser programmers.
>
> But what I really want to know right now is Font styling that has
> nothing
> to do with CSS. I like CSS, but I don't have a grasp on it yet and
> need to
> do something in straight HTML right now. Suggestions?
>
> Jean Peterson

Jean, the pure HTML way to specify it is to use the FONT tag, however
I cannot suggest that to you. I can only suggest you NOT use it. Its
a deprecated tag, and its a poor programming practice - and it is not
a standard.

The font tag was only brought to bear because web technology had not
moved fast enough for the word and people were clamoring for more
control. CSS came a bit after. But HTML is meant to communicate
structure and semantics - NOT presentation.

I realize on the one hand you want to "just get it done." But if you
are going to do it you may as well do it as good as you can. I will
be more than happy to help you offline with the CSS if you think its
a problem - I'd much rather do that than see you use font tags.

I also agree with you that you don't necessarily have to be a slave
to the browser and the users per se. You can still have some control
over what the user roughly sees - and yet allow them to change it.

Please feel free to contact me if you wish and I will gladly help!

Tom

=====
var me = tom.pixelmech.webDeveloper();

http://www.pixelmech.com/