[thelist] [SOLVED] mac/ie background image problem

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 29 05:09:01 CDT 2002

>ok, this is enough to officially make me despise mac/ie.  the problem went
>away when i commented out the doctype.

How lovely. One more example of how dangerous it is to use doctypes. Which
doctype did you use, exactly?

>the most standards compliant browser my ass.  more standards compliant
> >than win/ie my ass too.  who cares if it's "more" standards compliant >if
>it means better support for the more esoteric aspects of css when it >can't
>get simple things like this right.

Doctype switching is not simple. In fact its one of the most complicated
areas in modern web development. Browsers "show a page more standards
compliant" when you use one. Now how does one define "more standards
compliant"? Browser vendors disagree and do the strangest things when a
doctype is present.

Personally, I think doctype switching is the worst disaster to web
developers since the two DOMs of Netscape and Explorer 4.

Doctypes should have no influence at all on how a web page looks and acts.
As long as they do, I don't use doctypes and I advice everyone not to use
them, either.

<tip type="browser compatibility" author="ppk">
Never ever use doctypes. They're far more trouble than they're worth. If you
don't believe me, code a complex page with a doctype and view it in IE6,
Mozilla and IE5Mac.
You see?
</tip>

ppk