[thelist] mySQL and SQL Server 7 on the same box?

Jay Blanchard jay.blanchard at niicommunications.com
Mon Sep 30 10:48:01 CDT 2002

[snip]
Can mySQL and SQL Server 7 safely co-exist on the same machine? Can you
install mySQL without damaging your SQL Server 7 install? (This *IS* a
live server afterall with a ton of info in the SQL7 db. We'd just use
mySQL for the stats and nothing else...)
[/snip]

We have MySQL and SQL Server 7 running on the same box. The server gets
heavy use and we do some transfer of data between the two. Since each runs
as a seperate service they really do not effect each other ... save for
server load during peak demand. IIRC they do not even communicate on the
same port (not in a position where I could check at the moment).

If you are queasy about this take an unused box and install both and conduct
some test. I would be hesitant to do it directly on a production server
without this step. If you have to go directly to the production box I would
a.) make sure no one can access it during the installation, and b.) this
goes without saying ... but make good back-ups.

HTH!

Jay