[thelist] CHMOD equiv. on Windows Host

miinx lists at miinx.com.au
Tue Oct 1 14:22:01 CDT 2002

Joel Morris wrote:
> My experience with web hosting companies is that they'll set the
> permissions to run ASP scripts, but little else. So, if you need to
> write to a database or use File System Object to write a file, you'll
> have to ask the hosting company to set those permissions for you.

My host has disabled FSO for all their clients - told me I'd need to
find another way to do things.

Is that normal practice??

Thanks,
Karen

<tip type="client admin" author="miinx">

Have a 'standard directory structure' to use with new clients, is a
great idea.  Here's mine, which I keep in a folder Clients\$template\:

\$template
            \_site
                       \css
                       \images
                       \js
                       \inc
                       \db
                       \ssl
            \design
                       \images
                       \mockups
            \docs
                       \account
                       \project
                       \proposal
            \supplied_material

Now, whenever I get a new client (or even just a lead) I copy this
directory structure template into its own folder, and I'm set for
whatever this client throws at me.  Saves time and ensures consistency.

</tip>

-------
Miinx Design & Development
e :: karen at miinx.com.au