[thelist] Server problems.......

the head lemur headlemur at clearskymail.com
Wed Oct 2 10:02:14 CDT 2002

> Hello all.  One of my visitors says they are having problems accessing my
sites.

Is the visitor at the same isp as the website?

Has the host ip been blocked by the visitor's ISP?
This happens in spam cases more often than you might think.
a lazy ISP will block a whole set of addresses rather than the mail server
IP's.

Has the site been recently moved to another host?
check the DNS entry for the old host vs the new host and the internic
record.
the visitor's ISP may not have an up to date DNS or are rolling their own.

Check to see if your hosting company is on any of the blackhole lists.

> He now wants me to call them and troubleshoot with them.

this is a good idea as you can make a business contact, guage the level of
tech support, and confirm any blocking issues.

Oh yeah,,,it is your fault as you are the last guy on the food chain :)

the head lemur
News: http://www.lemurzone.com/news/
Interviews: http://www.lemurzone.com/pixelview/
Standards: http://webstandards.org