[thelist] Downloading a file without giving the link

Feingold Josh S Josh.S.Feingold at irs.gov
Wed Oct 2 14:52:01 CDT 2002

> I am in the process of developing a perl script that will allow
downloading
> a zip file only once. My problem is that if I give out the link, I will
not
> have any control and people will be able to download the file many times.

You could write a cookie that notes if the user has downloaded the file
before, but this depends on if the user allows cookies. Otherwise, you will
need to authenticate the user in some way, such as a log in. Perhaps a link
with a pass code appended to it would also allow you to authenticate the
user and only allow one download.  However, this link would need to be
different for each user, obviously.

Josh