[thelist] Illustrator color shift

Geoff Sheridan web2k2 at premonition.co.uk
Thu Oct 3 04:16:01 CDT 2002

Most important question first:
Do the raw colour values match between your two set-ups? (In other
words are the RGB colour numbers changed by AI9, or is it just the
way it's displayed that is different?)

>He's using Illustrator 8 on a Mac and can save in Illustrator as a jpg and
>the colors will stay true. When I save as a jpg, the colors fade and get
>dirty looking. He doesn't like the way it looks when we save as a gif
>because he uses gradients, but saving as a gif changes the colors as well
>anyway.
Two very different methods - saving as a JPG in AI9 uses the 'save
for web' palate - AI8 uses a much less sophisticated 'export'
function. I often encounter a problem with the save for web colour
handling in Photoshop; unless the RGB colour space is sRGB, JPG
colours are 'dirty' as you describe.

>we compared gammas and colour spaces. We match
What were they? Does he mix RGB and CMYK colours? In AI8 you can - in
AI9 you can't - colours are converted.

>Interestingly, he sent me a new file tonight and this time when I opened it
>directly in ImageReady, the color was beautiful. I needed to change
>something in Illustrator, so I opened it there, made a change, and then
>re-opened it in ImageReady. The color shifted, so just having Illustrator
>touch it messed it up again.
What kind of file? An EPS, AI or raster file? What are your colour
settings in AI9? Is the green colour you mention an RGB colour or
CMYK? Do the raw values match between your two set-ups? (In other
words are the RGB colour numbers changed, or is it just the way it's
displayed that is different?)

>Is there a really bad color bug in Illustrator 9 that perhaps was corrected
>with version 10? Or is there another workaround.
Hahaha! Bug 'corrected' in version 10? Hahahahahaha. Nice one.

Geoff