[thelist] FW: MAC Addresses/Physical Address!

Michael Pemberton mpember at phreaker.net
Thu Oct 3 04:21:01 CDT 2002

jon hall wrote:

>If they are all connected to the internet already, why not generate
>the UUID on the server, send it to the client, and write it encrypted
>to some remote corner of the HD or the registry?

You could always just generate a unique id based on the hardware of the
machine.  Then, simply regenerate it each time the user replaces a
component.  Finally,  make then call your help line and spend days on
hold waiting to be allowed back into the system that they had paid good
money to use.  Oops.  I think that idea has already been stolen, my mistake.

<tip type="helpdesk support" author="Michael Pemberton">
When dealing with a central help desk or management centre that supports
your IT system, never trust them when they say they have solved a
problem.  That is unless they can explain in simple terms what triggered
the problem in the first place.

There is nothing worse than have a problem that took 2 days to fix
repeat because some techie has made some change and guessed it will fix
your situation.
</tip>

--
Michael Pemberton