[thelist] IE 5.0 PC and CSS inline elements

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 5 05:09:01 CDT 2002

>I am trying to create a horizontal nav bar using A tags and CSS. I have
>assigned padding, borders, etc. to the tags, but IE 5.0 PC doesn't support
>inline padding or border. Are there any CSS workarounds to present
>different CSS to IE 5.0 PC only, so I don't have to use browser detection
>or a nav bar of images.

I answered this before but the mail didn't reach the list: there is no CSS
solution. IE 5.5 Win *does* allow you to set paddings and borders for inline
elements, and IE5Mac also does allow it. But IE 4 and 5.0 Win don't, simple
as that.

Be warned, BTW, that when you set a border for an inline element, Netscape 4
assumes you want to make it a block level element.

>I'm thinking along the lines of the NS4 @import thing.

Yes, you need to do that anyway.

ppk