[thelist] Payment gateways

Gary Bland Gary at star-chaser.com
Sat Oct 5 10:54:01 CDT 2002

Pablo Oliva wrote:
 > --
 > I would like to accept payments (credit cards) online.  I've been
 > looking at the options and it seems that I might open a merchant account
 > with Wells Fargo, they work with Authorize.net.  My intentions is to
 > have a seemless integration, meaning that I do not want the vistor to
 > have to leave my site in order to complete the payment process... as it
 > is done with paypal.  It seems that Authorize.net/Wells Fargo can
 > provide this.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  Can someone
 > give me a clue?
 > --

You didn't say how the system works.

If it is a standard e-commerce system

1. You need a cert and thawte is the cheapest. Your host will have to
set it up.

2. If your host doesn't already have a server set up for their gateway,
you have get the software make arrangement with your host for
installation. Most of them will let you install it but they will not
install it for you. It is usually in c and will have to be compiled on
the server.

3. You will need to write, buy, or have written, a program that will
communicate with the gateway. Some sort of cart system. That info will
be on Authorize.net in the developers section.

4. Since you are now responsible for charge backs etc, you need to get a
lawyer to write a terms and condition contract. Making it available on
your site during purchasing procedure.

That is the general outline of it.

Gary

--