[thelist] aligning text with bullet images

Noah St.Amand noah at tookish.net
Mon Oct 7 13:00:01 CDT 2002

Hi,

I'm using CSS to use images as bullets for a list of links. The images are
24x24 px, and the text is one line. The problem I'm having is in trying to
align the middle of the text to the middle of the image. I've managed to
get it working reasonably well in IE 5.5 (Win), Mozilla 1,0, and Opera
6.01, but in order to do so I had to use a <span> inside of each <li> and
the Tantek Celik hack to feed different "vertical-align" values to the
browsers, which seems a little excessive. Also, I have been informed that
the alignment does not work in IE 6 (Win).

I have some examples with explanations here:

http://www.tookish.net/temp/bullets.html

Any idea why it is not working in IE 6? Is there a better way to achieve
the alignment I want, or should I give up on this semantic stuff and make a
table?

Thanks,
Noah