[thelist] Aligning tables in Netscape

Erik Winter erik at efocus.nl
Mon Oct 7 15:16:06 CDT 2002

At 12:03 6-10-2002 -0500, .jeff wrote:
>i can hardly wait until the tableless layout proponents wake up one
>morning and decide they're tired of the 2 and 3 column floating div
>layouts that are the common replacement for <table>-based layouts.  then
>what?  oh, i know.  nest as many <div> tags as necessary and use absolute
>and/or relative positioning to get things where you want them.  how the
>heck is that better than using tables?

Other layouts are not that hard once you're getting used to the way
css-layout works. I'd like to point to http://www.ey.nl, a corporate
website of about 1000 pages. The structure is completely separated from
presentation and the presentation is separated in style-css and layout-css.

There is a limited set of layouts and these are stored in different
cacheble files. The fonts and colors have their own css-file and are also
cached (or can be changed very easily: http://www.ey.nl/ias/ or
http://www.hollandlaw.nl ). The content is indeed in 'as many <div> tags as
necessary' but the nesting reflects the document-structure, not the layout.
(Ok, and a few empty divs to avoid some bugs in IE).

Together this makes for a controllable site with very small pages and it
doesn't look too standard to me. Exactly how were you planning to
accomplish this with tables?

Erik Winter

(BTW I'm on digest, so forgive if my responses are a bit slow.)
(And yes, this was a shameless selfpromotion)

--
http://www.efocus.nl