[thelist] mod_auth_mysql & RedHat

Dave Nuttall dnuttall at dnlt.com
Tue Oct 8 07:35:02 CDT 2002

Regardless of the recent version of RedHat Linux, it seems like I "need" to
update Apache, PHP, and/or shared modules.  Most of the time its not a
problem to get things working, but for some reason I'm consistently stymied
with "mod_auth_mysql" recompiles.

Basically, with Apache compiled with DSO support, the appropriate compile
method is to use "apxs" from the current installed version of Apache.

In the case of Apache 1.3.x, the first command line goes something like:

	apxs -c -D APACHE -l mysqlclient -lm mod_auth_mysql.c
	    or for Apache 2.0.x
	apxs -c -D APACHE2 -l mysqlclient -lm mod_auth_mysql.c

Whether I'm on RedHat 7.3 or 8.0, those steps always seem to work as
expected.
Its the next and finalizing step that is baffling.  We think that should be:

	apxs -i mod_auth_mysql.la
	where the *.la file is created with the step discussed above.

What fails is the libtool seems to NOT be able to create/write the *.so file
in
the appropriate directory, even though the process is executed as root and
permissions
are set to 777.

Apologies to all if this is not your cup of tea and you don't want this kind
of stuff discussed here.  However, short of picketing the RedHat
headquarters and demanding assistance, I've drawn a lot of blank
stares/non-responses with postings in other venues.

Hope some can help us (speaking on behalf of Sam Brauer, keeper of
mod_auth_mysql on SourceForge!).

TIA.
Dave Nuttall
San Antonio, TX