[thelist] Posting Word Documents Vs. Creating Web Pages (Intranet)

Feingold Josh S Josh.S.Feingold at irs.gov
Tue Oct 8 08:55:02 CDT 2002

Hi all -

I manage an Intranet and for a while have been thinking about the following
question.   I am often provided Word or Excel documents and asked to post
them to the Intranet.  Since we are in a managed environment there are no
issues of access - everyone has common operating environment (COE).  So the
question is should I post the documents as Word documents or convert them to
web pages.

The benefit that I find of converting them is that they load faster and look
more webby.  The downside is that I have to convert them and reformat them
which takes time as well as the fact that I have to manage changes to the
documents whenever they are desired.

So what do others tend to do?

Thanks -
Josh