[thelist] Unix hosting servers getting running again

Andrew Maynes andrew at humanbehaviour.co.uk
Tue Oct 8 11:28:01 CDT 2002

thank you for that, v useful to know

Andrew

-----Original Message-----
From: thelist-admin at lists.evolt.org
[mailto:thelist-admin at lists.evolt.org]On Behalf Of Scott McPhee
Sent: Tuesday, October 08, 2002 05:58
To: thelist at lists.evolt.org
Subject: Re: [thelist] Unix hosting servers getting running again

I can only read your message with a Jon Lovitz impersenation - "a friend of
mine - yeah that's it, a friend - he ... um...  "accidentally" destroyed an
entire company - yeah it was an ACCident ..."  :)

In most cases if the UNIX or LINUX server is configured correctly - and the
plug was just pulled- then restarting the machine should restart everything
you need.  Servers can usually be restarted remotely by root so when you're
remote you need to depend on everything restarting without you sitting at a
terminal - and if you have a lot of servers - a terminal for each box....
hmm... pain in the butt.  I guess there is always a possibility that you
would have hard drive damage or something of the sort but as you said- it
depends on the problem.

sm