[thelist] MS SQL DB hand over

listman at hazard0us.org listman at hazard0us.org
Tue Oct 8 11:47:01 CDT 2002

>They asked for backup of the
>DB, and I did just that - backed up the DB to a file and sent them that.
>However, I'm not sure if you can restore a DB to a different Server Group
>with only that file.  Do they need the LDF and MDF files as well?

If you took a SQL Backup of the database from SQL Server enterprise manager
-
You did the right thing.  You dont need to send the MDF & LDF files if you
have
sent the backup to them.

Though your client might run into problems like orphaned-users :
http://www.sqlteam.com/redir.asp?ItemID=10519
when they restore the database at their end.

HTH
ashok

------
Ashok Hariharan