[thelist] XHTML & Character entities

Rob Schumann roblgs at cscoms.com
Wed Oct 9 02:43:01 CDT 2002

Hi,

This is quick... and sorry if I'm just being dense when it comes to understanding the guide to "XML well formedness" at W3C, but I cannot make head or tail of it...

Could anyone shed light on why the use of

“ and ” for left and right double quotes produces the error in HTML validation, that error being "reference to a non-SGML character"?

I'm validating against XHTML 1.0 Transitional and the character set is ISO-8859-1

What is the solution to achieving validation, yet using left and right curly double quotes

TIA

Rob