[thelist] Does the Americans with Disabilities, ADA, act pertain to Internet Content?

Brian W King bking at impact-technologies.com
Wed Oct 9 07:44:00 CDT 2002

>I believe the ADA says that companies above 15 employees  must follow the
>law's mandates.  I doubt your personal site qualifies.

I think you missed the point on the article.  It states that as the law
currently is written, there is not statute.  There is no law that defines
how websites are to be displayed or coded.  Until one of these cases
actually makes it through the court system, there probably won't be one
either.

I don't believe that it is a given that the ADA guidelines or Title III will
win here.  There are many cases where the guidelines have been rewritten or
simply canned because they were found to be harmful to others or simply too
stringent to be economically feasible.  One example would be in the
Commercial Fire Alarm industry.  The initial regulations were such that
visual fire alarm signals had to be of a specific high intensity strobe at a
specific flash rate.  This new regulation caused many people to have
epileptic seizures and was subsequently reduced/changed to a more reasonable
level.   The audible fire alarms were to be of a decibel rating that was so
high, (112 db at 15 feet in some cases), that it was causing permanent
hearing damage in those with previously normal hearing.   That regulation
was also backed off.

In short, even if the regulation directly addressed the coding and
compliance of web pages, (which it doesn't), it isn't necessarily going to
stand up to a court test.