[thelist] why is my valid site crashing NN4.6?

Gregory Wostrel gwostrel at mac.com
Wed Oct 9 09:29:01 CDT 2002

Hey Aaron,
Pretty weird stuff.
I am glad you are on a Mac, as well you should be! :-)
I tested it and had the same results on NN 4.7 on both platforms.

4.7 Mac (OS9.2)- instant quit
4.7 Win98 - started to load the page and then a warning about an
illegal operation

IE 4, 4.5, 5.0 Mac OS9 no trouble. and, I have to point out, 4.0
rendered the style sheet fine except for the fullpage Navigation bar.
It was only as big as the word "navigation". Not bad for a browser that
came out in what, 97? (If only the rest of MS was turning out a quality
product the way the Mac team at MS has been....)

IE 5.2 and NN7 OSX 10.2 no problem at all.

IE 5 Win98 was fine, too.

What are the latest stats on the usage of NN 4.7? Can't we just forget
about the stupid piece of crap? Plus if it happens on a Mac running
4.7,  how big of an audience can that be? Don't get me wrong, I am a
passionate Mac user (since 89) But even among the Mac users I know the
only ones using NN4.7 are web developers ruining their days testing
pages on it. (like me). Similarly, how many PC users are running it? I
don't know a single one except again, web developers. So maybe it is
safe to ignore it.

Anyone else?

Greg Wostrel

gwcreative
http://www.gwcreative.com/
gw at gwcreative.com
Communications and the Art of Simplicity