[thelist] open relay was [OT] network administration sites/lists

Chris W. Parker cparker at swatgear.com
Wed Oct 9 18:02:01 CDT 2002

anthony,

not that i have anything to ask right at the moment, but would you mind
if i contacted you directly if i'm in need sometime in the future? or
should i just post to the list?

wait! now that i think of it, i do have a question. so i'll present it
to the list.

a few months ago (thanks to my negligence and inexperience) we had our
website being used as an open relay.

i quickly got the relay shut and sent emails for retests from the DNSBL
sites. however today i noticed that in the mailroot\drop directory there
are quite a few emails that are saying basically "this is a test email
to see if you have an open relay. we are testing you because we have
recently received email from your server." to paraphrase.

although everything i've read indicates that the relay is closed (i even
telnetted in from an outside box and could not relay a message [which is
how i was told to test it]). the earliest email i have in the drop
directory is about 2 months old and i closed the relay more than 4
months ago.

anything that i can use/do to verify that the relay is actually closed?

thanks,
chris.