[thelist] Client wants to update page content

Bill Haenel mail at webmarketingworx.com
Wed Oct 9 18:59:01 CDT 2002

> I just checked out the FileMan demo. Nice product.
> However, it looks like there is no separation of content from
> code or from page
> layout "template". The chef will have to read and edit barebones
> html and do it
> in an html textarea.
> Is there a way around this?

If it were me, I'd build a menu.php page (or whatever), with spaces for page
includes like <?include "menu1.inc"?>, where menu1.inc contains nothing but
the most basic html for the menu, which is pretty safely built by FileMan's
WYSIWIG editor. It writes pretty clean stuff if it's something simple like a
menu list. It doesn't write perfectly compliant XHTML, or even HTML, but
then neither do I!

If you look at Richard's menu page, you'll see that it has several boxes. In
the boxes, you could make your includes, (i.e., menu1.inc, menu2.inc, etc.).
The .inc pages would be the only items in the directory that FileMan has
access to. The PHP pages would be outside that directory.

This is not a glamorous solution, but it would work, and would be simple
enough to compare favorably against the payment that Richard may or may not
get in return.

BH