[thelist] Expired Domain Checker

Lauri Vain lauri_lists at tharapita.com
Thu Oct 10 12:00:01 CDT 2002

Jeff,

> My company is extremely paranoid!

Oh goodie :)

> We have a lot of external links on our website, and they want
> to make sure that none of them go to porn sites.  of course
> this occurs not because we put in an bad link, but because a
> domain name expired and then porn people buy it

As other people will tell you, there are more elegant and more effective
ways to accomplish the very same thing and much more.

Do a link checker instead, for example, execute it regularily (daily,
once every three days, weekly, whatever - the choice is yours... just
don't overstress the remote server) and e-mail the report to the person
responsible for links. In addition to expired domain names (they will go
offline for at least several days), you will also catch offline links.

Keeping track of all domains that you have linked to, is a Bad Practice
(tm) to do what you're shooting for.

p.s. The link you sent has problems... only shows banners to me and has
a total of 17 lines of HTML code. Doesn't it have to have some query
strings or something similar?

Hope this helps!

Thanks,
Lauri