[thelist] Re: Submitting to Search Engines

Neil Lee neil at N0SP4M.thenonsuchcom
Fri Oct 11 00:34:01 CDT 2002

> Its not possible to submit to google to be listed. That¹s not how they work.
> You were lucky and had another site link to you, or were listed in DMOZ.
>
> Remember, even posting in forums such as these, one can be exposed to
> crawlers.

I'm going to have to agree with the others that have, well, disagreed on
this point: you don't have to be linked to for a site to appear in Google.
Their spider runs on a monthly basis (roughly between the 20th and the 25th
of the month, at least from what I can recall) and it simply spiders sites
that are already pre-existing in their DB, linked sites from the latter, and
sites that are newly submitted.

The portal I used to work for uses Google for their search results, and the
search producer gave me a long, very illuminating tour of how Google's
technology works; this is how I know this to be true.

Neil
---
Slumming at the beatnikPad : http://www.beatnikpad.com/
Working at theNonsuch: http://reblog.thenonsuch.com/