[thelist] Re: Submitting to Search Engines

Ben Dyer ben_dyer at imaginuity.com
Fri Oct 11 13:38:02 CDT 2002

At 01:15 PM 10/11/2002, Cayley Vos wrote:
>I can guarantee you that the add URL feature on google is just for show.
>Since the search engines started, %90 + of all sites submitted to them are
>spam.  I can validate this from being an editor at DMOZ.

Well, I can guarantee you that it is hardly for show.  The Add a URL form
is only for *getting into* the database, it does not (in agreement with
what you are arguing) guarantee *ranking* for any search terms (because you
aren't linked from anybody, if you were, you'd already be well off in
Google's database), but the site *will* be in the database.

This is verifiable from not just everyone else on this list who has already
said otherwise, but from myself as well, as I also do the same thing on a
regular basis.

--Ben