[thelist] Re: Submitting to Search Engines

miinx lists at miinx.com.au
Fri Oct 11 20:06:00 CDT 2002

Cayley Vos wrote:
> I can guarantee you that the add URL feature on google is just for show.
> Since the search engines started, %90 + of all sites submitted to them are
> spam.  I can validate this from being an editor at DMOZ.

Hi Cayley,

No offense, but you clearly need to do some more research.  Read the
Webmaster pages at Google itself - the URL's given by Liam yesterday
will get you there - I would say they have far more authority to be
"guaranteeing" anything about their own methods than you.

Google's "Add Url" feature is another way to get your site onto their
spider's list of crawled domains.  It's not necessary (in fact is
redundant) if you're linked to by another site, however if you're not,
it most definitely helps.  I have submitted brand spanking new sites
there, that have no links from anywhere, (and are not also in DMOZ) and
while it takes a while (up to a few months) to get listed - I can also
"guarantee" that it works, having not done *anything* else to get
listed.  It's not the ideal way, it will take a while, but it does work.

Incidentally, I was an editor at DMOZ too.  This certainly didn't give
me any official status to be going around spreading misleading information.

cheers,
Karen
-------
Miinx Design & Development