[thelist] [Usability] Cancel button in forms (typically CMS related)

Abhay S. Kushwaha abhayk at netsolutionsindia.com
Sat Oct 12 02:00:01 CDT 2002

Whenever we create a CMS system, we bring up a form to manage the
content of a particular page. If the page already exists, the various
fields are populated from the database. There is a nifty button at the
bottom that says "Click to Save" too. Good. Good.

Now, how good an idea is it to add a "Cancel" button just next to the
"Save/Update" button? Something that perhaps executes a JS history(-1)
with a prompt "Any changes will be lost. Do you want to continue?".

Personally I'm very strongly inclined to put it up because it gives
what Jacob Nielson says "extra feeling of safety that is not afforded
by simply leaving" [1]. Sometimes I go overboard and put it up even in
those "Change Password" screens.

But I want to know what the general trend these days is.
What is your opinion about it?

[abhay]

---
[1] http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20000416.html