[thelist] [Usability] Cancel button in forms (typically CMS related)

Neil Lee neil at N0SP4M.thenonsuchcom
Sat Oct 12 10:21:00 CDT 2002

> Personally I'm very strongly inclined to put it up because it gives
> what Jacob Nielson says "extra feeling of safety that is not afforded
> by simply leaving" [1]. Sometimes I go overboard and put it up even in
> those "Change Password" screens.

IMHO "cancel" or "reset" form widgets are totally useless. If usability
studies that I've been a part of are any indication, the only time users
actually use the "reset" button for a form is if they accidentally mistook
it for the "commit" button.

I think what's more useful is a summary page after the user has submitted
their information. This page would give a clear, scannable view of what the
system has captured from the form. The user then has an opportunity to
either "confirm" or "edit" the information.

Neil
---
Slumming at the beatnikPad : http://www.beatnikpad.com/
Working at theNonsuch: http://reblog.thenonsuch.com/