[thelist] Intranets and proprietary code

Joel Canfield joel at spinhead.com
Sat Oct 12 12:23:01 CDT 2002

> I work on an intranet and have always been strictly standards
> based.  I was wondering which of the many people on the list
> that develop intranets use any proprietary browser code
> (whether it be ActiveX for IE, html, css etc) and if so, why.

We have an extensive intranet which has grown in a decidedly IE centric
manner. As our network has become more Unix oriented, I'm regretting the IE
bias. My original reasoning was that since I set the browser standard (and
that's not likely to change as long as I'm with the company) I'll have
control. What I didn't take into account was external forces over which I
had no control.

One issue that would have arisen anyway is that a few of our 3rd party IT
tools are very IE centric, using ActiveX, etc. The only way we'll get around
that is to rebuild the tools ourselves, or implement Citrix or some other
suitable Windows access from Unix boxen.

joel

--
Joel D Canfield
Know Your Music    http://EGBDF.info