[thelist] Intranets and proprietary code

Neil Lee neil at N0SP4M.thenonsuchcom
Sat Oct 12 12:48:01 CDT 2002

> I work on an intranet and have always been strictly standards based.  I
> was wondering which of the many people on the list that develop
> intranets use any proprietary browser code (whether it be ActiveX for
> IE, html, css etc) and if so, why.

I think the idea is to plan for the future. You never know if the CEO might,
at some point, say, "Let's open up this section of our Intranet to our
clients." (Which, of course, happens all too often.)

If you've incorporated a lot of browser-specific technology into your
intranet, the amount of resources required to make everything play nice "in
the wild" might make you wish you hadn't. It's easier to just make sure
everything is standards-based and compatible from the beginning /just in
case/.

There's nothing more infuriating and forehead-slapping than having to go
back and revisit old code because of lack of foresight.

---
Slumming at the beatnikPad : http://www.beatnikpad.com/
Working at theNonsuch: http://reblog.thenonsuch.com/
e-mail: webify at thenonsuch.com | Amité.