[thelist] updating a record?

Joshua Olson joshua at waetech.com
Sun Oct 13 18:42:00 CDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "rudy" <r937 at interlog.com>
Sent: Sunday, October 13, 2002 4:46 PM

> > Like rudy pointed out, unless zipcode is the PK of zip_table,
> > this may update more than one record.
>
> sorry, maybe i wasn't clear
>
> whether zipcode is the pk is irrelevant
>
> it's using wildcards that will potentially select or update multiple rows

And of course you are 100% correct, rudy.  I was so focused on the
efficiencies to be gained by the reworking of the logic that I didn't even
consider the wildcards an issue.  But, I agree that wildcards could cause a
problem--or at least an unintended side-effect.  A possible good side-effect
is that perhaps the wildcard zipcode search was part of a business search
and the point of incrementing values was to count the number of times each
business was included in a set of search results.  In that case, the
wildcard would be acceptable.

-joshua