[thelist] Birthday Email Sending Page

Harold Maduro harold at bootstudio.com
Wed Oct 16 09:47:01 CDT 2002

Hi Jason, i did excactly the same thing last week!

in fact, i just asked the same question and got the info to do that here on
the list!

so, here is how i did it:

1. did the programming on ASP to search for the people with birthdays (in
my case, it has to be done daily)
2. then, transformed the ASP script to a .VBS file
     (this may sound stupid, but you will feel terrible because your
precious ASP script now will look like one of those viruses you get by email)
     2.1  to do this, you have to strip all the HTML from the script
     2.2  remove the opening and closing <%   %>
     2.3  remove the references to the server object.  for example:
its  CreateObject instead of  Server.CreateObject
     2.4  Server.URLEncode doesn't exists on .VBS
3. you have to use a command line tool called  cscript.exe to run the vbs
file.  you could use this program to test if your vbs file works
     3.1  csript.exe  yourFile.vbs
4.  When everything is working, use the Windows Scheduler to make a task
that runs the line above
      4.1 create a new task
      4.2 select the time when it will run (every day, every week, etc.)
and the hour
      4.3  it should run something like this:
           c:\windows\system32\cscript.exe  c:\inetpub\wwwroot\Directory of
you file\yourScript.VBS

And that's it... hope this helps.

At 06:47 PM 10/15/02, you wrote:
>Message: 9
>From: "Jason Lustig" <lustig at buffalo.edu>
>To: <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
>Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 17:14:09 -0400
>Subject: [thelist] Sending out mail from the webserver
>
>Hey all
>
>I'm writing a script for a website of mine, and I have a question...
>what this script is, it's a birthday script. We'll have ~250 people in a
>database, with their birthdays, and once a week or so, I want it to pull
>the people from the database whose birthdays it is and send out e-mails
>to them to to wish them a happy birthday.
>
>Now, I know how to pull everything out of the database and whatnot, but
>what I can't seem to figure out is how to set up the server so that
>it'll execute this script once a week. I'm currently on IIS, and I can
>use either ASP or PHP... anyone have any ideas on how to get this to run
>automatically?
>
>Thanks.
>
>--Jason

harold maduro