[thelist] Website check: www.pml.ac.uk

Matt MacLeod mattmacleod12 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Oct 17 05:33:01 CDT 2002

Kevin,
Zeldman wrote a good piece on this at http://www.zeldman.com/daily/0802c.html#evangeline entitled 'Show, don't sell'.
Although I take your point. It is not easy to convince non-techy clients about the benefits of standards compliance. Essentially these are things that your client can't see, so it becomes very difficult when you show the client two identical pages and then have to convince them that the one which costs a lot more to implement, yet which looks the same is the best option.
When I tried to convince a client that XHTML/CSS was the way to go I got out my mobile phone, dialed up the standards compliant site and showed the client that it still worked. I then dialed up the old version which of course, looked a total mess and none of the forms worked. It was a total gimmick, but it worked!
Cheers Matt
 Kevin Sedgley <kese at pml.ac.uk> wrote:Hello,

I have to write a brief summary on where our company's website could be
doing better. I'm trying to get the point of the W3C's WAI across to the
powers that be, as well as web standards, but in a language they'll
understand (non techy). I can't just say "nested tables: they're so
passé..." Any tips? Has anyone had to try and convince management to
change something that works fine as it is?

The site is

I'd appreciate if someone with moz / Netscape / opera could give it a
check as well: we're only allowed to have IE on our machines... :(

Thanks,

Kev

Portfolio at http://mattneedsajob.tripod.com
Tel: +44 (0)1480 812034