[thelist] Images in liquid design

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 17 10:41:01 CDT 2002

> From: Djinn <djinn at darkdesigns.org>
>
> >instead, try to create an image with edges that drop off to flat
> >color (to match a background color), that blend with a background
> >image, that tile, or that can be moved around without requiring
> >pixel- perfect precision...
>
> So the idea is to create images small enough not to crowd the page if
> the window is small/resolution is large? Which means you probably end
> up with a sparse layout when the opposite is true...oh well. I had
> hoped that something better had been developed.

ultimately, yes, that's true... if i want my page to scale down to
WebTV resolution, it may look pretty open and sparse at
1200x1600... alternatively, if i design it scale down only to
800x600, it won't like quite as sparse at 1200x1600...

conversely, if i design it to not look sparse, by careful use of flat
color, background textures, and the like, then i may not need to
worry that much...

you can also experiment with minimum/maximum-width CSS
properties... obviously, you have to make this decision based on
your audience, as it's CSS2 and support may not be ideal...

10.4 Minimum and maximum widths: 'min-width' and 'max-width'
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/visudet.html#min-max-widths

--
Read the evolt.org case study
Usability: The Site Speaks for Itself