[thelist] [Usability/Javascript] Client-Side Form Validation - Pros & Cons?

Abhay S. Kushwaha abhayk at netsolutionsindia.com
Fri Oct 18 09:16:01 CDT 2002

Yes, "usability" and "javascript" in the same sentence... :P

I want to know what your opinion/practice is about doing client-side
validation of forms.

We always do server-side validation and I opine that we should be
doing client-side validation to save on that "one-trip return" lag in
the event there are required fields missing or there is an error in
input. We always use the forms to not rely on JavaScript to be
functional but at the same time to take use of the added functionality
if JavaScript is enabled (majority).

Opinion?
Practice?
Pros & Cons?