[thelist] [Usability/Javascript] Client-Side Form Validation - Pros & Cons?

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 18 10:29:22 CDT 2002

> From: "Abhay S. Kushwaha" <abhayk at netsolutionsindia.com>
[...]
> I want to know what your opinion/practice is about doing client-side
> validation of forms.
[...]

i build my forms to work with server-side only validation... test 'em
like mad, make sure they do what i want...

then i go back and add client-side validation -- being sure to use JS
that won't result in broken pages... the forms must work without
JS, and so must the entire application...

if i have to make changes to the forms (new valdiation rules, for
example), i turn off JS and do my work... once my server-side
validation is all good, i turn JS back on and add the client-side
validation...

--
Read the evolt.org case study
Usability: The Site Speaks for Itself