[thelist] Database: Replacing MS Access?

Frank framar at interlog.com
Fri Oct 18 10:44:01 CDT 2002

I'd like to be able to pitch MS Office. It is for me, too problematic a set
of programs , and quite frankly if I use any part, it would be almost
exclusively the most basic functions of Word. The only thing that keeps it
on my machine is that Word has an outliner. I hear that StartOffice 6 has
one as well, and so am willing to take a look at that.

The other issue is that from time to time, I need to read from  and edit
Access more basic (standard) features.

Is there some program, set of programs, approaches that would allow me to
create, access and edit MS Access databases without the need to actually
have MS Access installed machines? I know that Access can use ODBC. Is
there an alternative that someone can suggest?

--
Frank Marion <frank at frankmarion.com>      Tel: 416 825 7488