[thelist] Woes with partial transparency PNG (or why IE sucks)

sasha spam at bittersweet2.com
Sun Oct 20 15:31:01 CDT 2002

10/18/2002 5:15:11 PM, Anthony Baker
<lists at thinkbigideas.com> wrote:

>Check this out. It's from YoungPup.Net
>
>http://www.youngpup.net/?
request=/snippets/sleight.xml

Same deal as the following url, it doesn't work on the
PNG if it is a bg image:
http://webfx.eae.net/dhtml/pngbehavior/pngbehavior.htm

10/18/2002 5:05:36 PM, Liorean <Liorean at user.bip.net>
wrote:

>It's  utilising conditional comments
><http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/over
view/ccomment_ovw.asp>,
>and here's an example:
>

><!--[if gt IE 5.5000]>
><![endif]-->

I thought this had a lot of promise, but it didn't
even work in IE 5.0, can't comment on newer versions.

I just ended up using minor browser detection in PHP
looking specifically for IE on Windows (since IE for
Mac is supposed to support partial transparency), but
not Opera or Gecko (for browsers that fake the user
agent string, but still leave their browser name in
it) and giving them an additional line of CSS that
says no bg image.

sasha